High-level event on atrocity prevention on the occasion of the handover of the Chair of GAAMAC
16 Nov 2020 | Online
Monday, 16 November 2020
15:00 – 16 :00 CET
Atrocities (genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and ethnic cleansing) continue to challenge humanity. The many ongoing crises remind us that no society is immune and that a reinvigorated approach to prevention is urgently needed. Launched in 2013 as a political initiative to galvanize understanding of and support for early and permanent prevention, the Global Action Against Mass Atrocity Crimes (GAAMAC) offers a new approach and impetus to atrocity prevention.
GAAMAC is led by a Steering Group, whose composition is innovative and unique true to GAAMAC’s founding principles of complementarity between states and civil society. On 16 November 2020 the Chair will officially be passed over from Switzerland to Argentina during a virtual event.
On this occasion, GAAMAC wants to highlight the role of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Human Rights Council as well as other multilateral institutions in promoting atrocity prevention. The prevention platform GAAMAC welcomes that the High Commissioner for Human Rights will deliver a Keynote Speech to that end.
- Welcoming Address by Ambassador Simon Geissbühler, Head of the Human Security Division, FDFA Switzerland
- Keynote Speech by Ms. Michelle Bachelet, High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Remarks by Ambassador Federico Villegas, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN in Geneva
- Remarks by Ms. Mô Bleeker, Special Envoy for Dealing with the Past and Prevention of Atrocities, FDFA Switzerland, Outgoing GAAMAC Chair
- Remarks by Judge Silvia Fernández de Gurmendi, former President of the International Criminal Court, Special Representative of Argentina to the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance, Incoming GAAMAC Chair
- Concluding remarks by Ambassador Jürg Lauber, Permanent Representative of Switzerland to the UN in Geneva
 Argentina, Costa Rica, Denmark, Switzerland and Tanzania, the Global Centre for the Responsibility to Protect, the International Coalition for the Responsibility to Protect, the Liberation War Museum, the FXB Center for Health and Human Rights at the Harvard School of Public Health, Ambassador Liberata Mulamula (Patron of the GAAMAC Africa Working Group), Mr. Andrea Bartoli (Sant’ Egidio Foundation for Peace and Dialogue) and Mr. Tetsushi Ogata (Genocide Prevention Advisory Network). The United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect participates to the Steering Group discussions and is an active supporter of GAAMAC’s endeavour.
Find the speeches of the event here